Details for Round Timber Community (Atlas Number 5023004361)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5023004361

Data

Marker Number 4361
Atlas Number 5023004361
Marker Title Round Timber Community
Index Entry Round Timber Community
Address
City Seymour
County Baylor
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 493352
UTM Northing 3698782
Subject Codes cities and towns; settlements
Marker Year 1972
Designations
Marker Location from Seymour, take SH 114 SE about 8 mi. to FM 1285 S. - follow FM 1285 to FM 2374, and follow FM 2374 South to Round Timber Cemetery.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Named for round clumps of oaks. Pioneered by C. C. (Lum) Mills, 1863, but soon abandoned to Indians, site became the first permanent settlement in Baylor County when reopened in 1874 by T. K. Hamby, C. C. and W. B. Mills, John W. Stevens and Tom Whitworth. Post Office opened in 1879 with A. C. Burnham as postmaster. In school built in 1879, first teacher was Eliza Mitchell. Town had stores, barber and blacksmith shops, 1880s. The church was built by Methodists, 1879, sold to Baptists, 1933. The burial ground, dating from 1870, was deeded 1962 by J. Hop Parker to the cemetery association. Incise on back: Marker sponsored by Harry and Helen Portwood. 1972.