Details for Thompson Building (First Brick Building on Square) (Atlas Number 5025001692)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5025001692

Data

Marker Number 1692
Atlas Number 5025001692
Marker Title Thompson Building (First Brick Building on Square)
Index Entry Thompson Building (First Brick Building on Square)
Address 108 W. Corpus Christi
City Beeville
County Bee
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes commercial buildings; communications; Victorian (architectural term)
Marker Year 1971
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 108 W. Corpus Christi, Beeville
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Victorian architecture. Built 1892 by grocer J.C. Thompson (1836-1905) of brick from Calavaros Kiln near Elmendorf. Upstairs in 1892 was law office of Lon C. Hill, who later founded Harlingen. Afterward on second floor was "Beeville Light Guard" Armory. Acquired in 1910 by Eureka Telephone Company, was communications headquarters (1912-20) for Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Company, and then for Southwestern Bell until 1957. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971