Details for First Christian Church (Atlas Number 5025001698)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5025001698

Data

Marker Number 1698
Atlas Number 5025001698
Marker Title First Christian Church
Index Entry First Christian Church of Pettus
Address
City Pettus
County Bee
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 617164
UTM Northing 3166458
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Christian (Disciples of Christ) denominations; churches
Marker Year 1965
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Corner of Commerce and Walton streets, First Christian Church of Pettus.
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Built in 1905. First church to serve the needs of Protestants in Pettus. Called a Christian Church at request of land donor, Mrs. S.B. Hodges. Contributions came from all denominations. On August 29, 1906, the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was organized with 25 members. For many years Baptists, Methodists, and Disciples conducted a union Sunday School and worshipped here. Its tall white spire became the town landmark. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965