Details for First United Methodist Church of Belton (Atlas Number 5027001882)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5027001882

Data

Marker Number 1882
Atlas Number 5027001882
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Belton
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Belton
Address 205 N. East St.
City Belton
County Bell
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 646744
UTM Northing 3437096
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; Gothic Revial (Architectural style); churches
Marker Year 1978
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location N. East St. at 3rd Ave, Belton
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Founded in 1850 when Bell County was created, this church was part of a circuit until 1869. By the 1880s, the membership had outgrown their original church building at Pearl and First Avenue. This larger sanctuary was erected in 1884-86, during the pastorate of the Rev. W.L. Nelms. Constructed of locally made bricks with a native stone foundation, it features Gothic Style detailing. The original steeple was removed during remodeling in 1925. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978.