Details for First United Methodist Church of Temple (Atlas Number 5027001896)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5027001896

Data

Marker Number 1896
Atlas Number 5027001896
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Temple
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Temple
Address 102 N. Second St.
City Temple
County Bell
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 658372
UTM Northing 3441653
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; Romanesque/Richardsonian Romanesque (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The Rev. E.R. Barcus served as the first pastor of the congregation, organized in 1882, one year after the city of Temple was founded. The original structure on this site was destroyed by fire in 1911. The present Romanesque Revival building was finished three years later. Architects were Sanguinet & Staats of Fort Worth. For many years civic meetings and school functions were conducted in the sanctuary, the largest in the area. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979