Details for Wedemeyer House (Atlas Number 5027006108)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5027006108

Data

Marker Number 6108
Atlas Number 5027006108
Marker Title Wedemeyer House
Index Entry Wedemeyer House
Address 404 E. 9th St.
City Belton
County Bell
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 646911
UTM Northing 3437916
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; educational topics; Victorian (architectural term)
Marker Year 1975
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location MARKER REPORTED MISSING 5/2011
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text A distinctive Victorian house, associated with one of the historic private schools of Bell County. Charles H. Wedemeyer (1857-1938), a former teacher and administrator of Baylor University, Crane College, and Waco University, moved here with his wife Mary (Johnson) and family in 1887. They built this home in 1891, adjoining Wedemeyer Academy, where many area leaders were educated. Since 1927, house has been owned by family of Mrs. Alice Law. It was restored in 1973-74 by Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Law. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975