Details for Dr. John S. and Mary McCelvey House (Atlas Number 5027011728)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5027011728

Data

Marker Number 11728
Atlas Number 5027011728
Marker Title Dr. John S. and Mary McCelvey House
Index Entry McCelvey, Dr. John S. and Mary, House
Address 804 N. 11th St.
City Temple
County Bell
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 657894
UTM Northing 3442555
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; medical topics and health professionals; women
Marker Year 1999
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Completed about 1906 for Dr. John S. McCelvey (1870-1964) and his fiancee, Mary Horne (1881-1960), this house was erected of concrete blocks cast on the Horne family plantation near Waco. The McCelveys built the north wing addition and garage and servants' quarters in 1927. Dr. McCelvey was a prominent local physician affiliated with the King's Daughters Hospital and was active in state medical associations. Mary McCelvey was active in Temple social and civic affairs. The house was designed in an eclectic Gothic style with an asymmetrical plan, wraparound porch with chamferred corners, and stone piers with urns. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999

Images