Details for The Argyle (Atlas Number 5029000197)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5029000197

Data

Marker Number 197
Atlas Number 5029000197
Marker Title The Argyle
Index Entry Argyle
Address 934 Patterson Ave.
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 550890
UTM Northing 3261730
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1972
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 934 Patterson Ave., Alamo Heights, San Antonio (at doorway)
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Built 1859 by Charles Anderson as headquarters for a 1400-acre house ranch. Leaving San Antonio on Civil War's eve, Anderson sold to poet Hiram McLane who lived here 30 years. In 1890 at Alamo Heights' creation, a subdivider named the mansion for his native Argyllshire, Scotland. The O'Grady family, formerly of Boerne, bought the Argyle in 1893, making it famous for hospitality and food. The classic "Argyle Cook Book" was published in 1940. (1972)