Details for San Antonio Casino Club Building (Atlas Number 5029000752)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5029000752

Data

Marker Number 752
Atlas Number 5029000752
Marker Title San Antonio Casino Club Building
Index Entry Casino Club Building, San Antonio
Address 102 W. Crockett St.
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 549554
UTM Northing 3255176
Subject Codes fraternal organizations; buildings; commercial buildings; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text The exclusive Casino Club was organized in 1854 by San Antonio Germans. In 1881 the San Antonio Club was established for literary purpose. The institutions merged in 1925 to form San Antonio Casino Club. This building, completed in 1927 with its distinctive tiered dome, became a downtown landmark. It boasted club rooms, dining rooms, dormitories, and a ballroom. After oilman Thoms Gilcrease bought the structure in 1942, it became known as the Gilcrease Building.