||Built about 1890, this home was constructed on land bordering the Mission Concepcion Acequia (Canal). In 1896 the site was purchased by Prussian Native William Ernnst (1830-1904), a former mail carrier between Fredericksburg and San Antonio. Ernst acquired a reputation as a talented cook, and while in Mexico during the U.S. Civil War, he prepared a supper for Empoeror Maximilan. His Culinary skills earned him an appointment to the Emperor's staff as a chef. After Maximilian's Execution in 1867, Ernst returned to San Antonio, where he operated a restaurant on Alamo Plaza.