Details for Norton-Polk-Mathis House (Atlas Number 5029003615)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5029003615

Data

Marker Number 3615
Atlas Number 5029003615
Marker Title Norton-Polk-Mathis House
Index Entry Norton-Polk-Mathis House
Address 401 King William St.
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 549119
UTM Northing 3253976
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Victorian (architectural term); pioneers
Marker Year 1971
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 401 King William St., San Antonio
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text This site, from lower lands of Mission San Antonio De Valero, later part of the Vicente Amador Spanish Grant, was bought 1869 by merchant Russel C. Norton, who began building in 1876. HOuse grew with additions of a second story, Victorian Gingerbread rear Gallery, and Italian Renaissance Revival Tower. Later owners were rancher Edwin Polk and renowned trail Bossa and cattleman Ike T. Pryor. Business leader Walter N. Mathis restored Mansion in 1968.