Details for The Oge House (Atlas Number 5029003680)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5029003680

Data

Marker Number 3680
Atlas Number 5029003680
Marker Title The Oge House
Index Entry Oge House, The
Address 209 Washington St.
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 549248
UTM Northing 3254324
Subject Codes Neoclassical (architectural style); rangers; houses, residential buildings; design and construction
Marker Year 1971
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 209 Washington St., San Antonio
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text One of early stone residences of San Antonio. First floor and basement were built as early as 1857 when place was owned by Attorney Newton. A. Mitchell and wife Catherine (Elder). Louis Oge (1832-1915) bought house in 1881, after migrating (1845) to Texas with the Castor Colony, serving in Texas Rangers under W.A.A. ("Bigfoot") Wallace, and making a fortune as a rancher. He was a San Antonio business leader and served as Alderman and school board president. He had leading architect Alfred Giles enlarge and remodel the house in Neo-Classical style.