Details for Old San Antonio National Bank Building (Atlas Number 5029003804)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5029003804

Data

Marker Number 3804
Atlas Number 5029003804
Marker Title Old San Antonio National Bank Building
Index Entry San Antonio National Bank Building
Address 239 East Commerce St.
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 549470
UTM Northing 3255094
Subject Codes banks, bankers, banking topics; commercial buildings; design and construction
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 239 East Commerce St. San Antonio
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This structure was built to house the San Antonio National Bank, organized by George W. Brackenridge and others in 1866 as the first federally chartered banking institution in the city. Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz, A New York architect, designed the building using limestone mined from area Quarries. Completed in 1886, it served as the fourth structure for the bank. The victorian design features moorish arches, ornate ironwork, and a decorative southeast corner tower. The bank occupied the facility until 1970.