Details for Ursuline Convent and Academy (Atlas Number 5029003828)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5029003828

Data

Marker Number 3828
Atlas Number 5029003828
Marker Title Ursuline Convent and Academy
Index Entry Ursuline Convent and Academy
Address 300 Augusta St
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 549137
UTM Northing 3255957
Subject Codes educational buildings; women, women's history topics; churches; educational topics; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Southwest School of Art and Craft, 300 Augusta, San Antonio
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text At the urging of Bishop Jean-Marie Odin and with help from Father Claude Dubuis, seven French Ursuline nuns opened San Antonio's first school for girls here in 1851. The original academy building, designed by architect François Giraud, was later joined by other buildings as the academy expanded. Constructed between 1851 and 1883, the historic structures show a combination of French, Gothic Revival and vernacular influences. After Ursuline Academy moved from this site in 1965, the complex was rehabilitated for use as an art school and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962