Details for Woman's Club of San Antonio (Atlas Number 5029005890)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5029005890

Data

Marker Number 5890
Atlas Number 5029005890
Marker Title Woman's Club of San Antonio
Index Entry Woman's Club of San Antonio
Address 1717 San Pedro
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 548519
UTM Northing 3257978
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; women, women's history topics; fraternal organizations; design and construction; women's clubs
Marker Year 1975
Designations
Marker Location 1717 San Pedro, San Antonio
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Formed in 1898 by Philanthropist Eleanor Brackenridge (1837-1924) and journalist Marin B. Fenwick with eighteen charter members, the Woman's Club of San Antonio was the first departmental club in Texas. Miss Brackenridge served for seven years as the group's first president. The activities of this charitable organization have advanced voting and education have advanced voting and education for women, social reforms, and arts. The group purchased its first clubhouse in 1908. This structure, built-in 1907-08. This structure, built in 1907-08 as the residence of business and Civic Leader David J. Woodward, was acquired by the Woman's Club in 1926.

Images