Details for First Methodist Church of Valley Mills (Atlas Number 5035001774)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5035001774

Data

Marker Number 1774
Atlas Number 5035001774
Marker Title First Methodist Church of Valley Mills
Index Entry First Methodist Church of Valley Mills
Address
City Valley Mills
County Bosque
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 644946
UTM Northing 3503560
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1991
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location SH 6 at 5th Street
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Methodists in this area trace their history to the 1840s, when circuit-riding preachers began holding camp meetings on a nearby farm. In 1889, after the railroad caused Valley Mills to relocate south of the Bosque River, the Methodists built their first church, located in a residential area. In 1915 the congregation voted to move downtown. This brick structure, which features two inset temple-front entries with Ionic columns, was completed by 1916. Art glass windows, corbelled brickwork, and a pressed metal roof which simulates tile are also prominent. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991