Details for St. James Episcopal Church (Atlas Number 5037009509)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5037009509

Data

Marker Number 9509
Atlas Number 5037009509
Marker Title St. James Episcopal Church
Index Entry Saint James Episcopal Church
Address 417 Olive St.
City Texarkana
County Bowie
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 403026
UTM Northing 3698799
Subject Codes churches; Episcopal denomination
Marker Year 1964
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Local Episcopalians met on Oct. 30, 1876, at the Marquand Hotel to organize this congregation. The first parish meeting was held April 2, 1877. Citizens of all faiths contributed funds for the first church building, erected on property donated by the Texas & Pacific Railroad. A second edifice, built in 1893-94, was altered and enlarged in 1910 and 1926. St. James has established or supported at least seven other churches in this area. This parish pioneered in aid to the elderly and other community services. (1977) Incise on back: Sponsored by The Vestry; Richard L. Hartshorn and Charles Terry, Wardens; Richard C. Allen, Rector; Bowie County Historical Commission