Details for Old Brazoria County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5039009533)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5039009533

Data

Marker Number 9533
Atlas Number 5039009533
Marker Title Old Brazoria County Courthouse
Index Entry Brazoria County Courthouse, Old
Address 100 Cedar St.
City Angleton
County Brazoria
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 263505
UTM Northing 3229389
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location currently Brazoria Co. Historical Museum, corner of Cedar and SH 288, Angleton
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Angleton's first permanent courthouse was built in 1897, a year after the city was chosen Brazoria County seat. Constructed from plans originally drawn for the Matagorda County courthouse, the structure was enlarged and extensively remodeled in 1927. After the building suffered some structural damage in a 1932 storm, the county erected a new courthouse but maintained offices here until the 1970s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983