Details for Freeport National Bank (Freeport Sulphur Company Building) (Atlas Number 5039009563)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5039009563

Data

Marker Number 9563
Atlas Number 5039009563
Marker Title Freeport National Bank (Freeport Sulphur Company Building)
Index Entry Freeport National Bank (Freeport Sulphur Company Building)
Address 226 W. Park Ave.
City Freeport
County Brazoria
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 271411
UTM Northing 3204680
Subject Codes banks, bankers, banking topics; commercial buildings; Classical Revival (architectural style); Business topics, general
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner of Board and Park St.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Freeport Sulphur Company was instrumental in the founding and early development of the city of Freeport and the region. It was incorporated on July 12, 1912, and then organized the Freeport Townsite Company with the purpose of developing a city on the west bank of the Brazos River. The city was designed to be free of wharf and dock charges to facilitate the importation of goods and supplies into the town, especially to the sulphur mines at Bryan Mound, and to expedite the exportation of sulphur to national and international markets. In 1913 the Freeport National Bank constructed a one-story edifice with a built-in vault on land acquired from the Freeport Townsite Company. In 1918 the Freeport Sulphur Company purchased adjoining property, erected a new two-story building and added a second floor to the bank structure. The Freeport National Bank remained in business until 1955, when the Freeport Sulphur Company bought the property and maintained offices here until 1973. This Classical Revival structure with brick corbelling, a flat roof, multiple bays, and flat arched windows reflects popular commercial building trends of the early 20th century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997