|| A terrible storm ravaged Pearland in 1915. Among the important structures it destroyed was the town's high school. For the next 22 years, Pearland teenagers traveled to Webster to attend classes. The long commute severly curtailed their involvement in school and community life. Despite the difficulties of farm life and the depression years, it was important to the townspeople that they be able to educate their children in Pearland. In 1937 they approved a new school bond. Architect Henry Stubee designed the new high school building and the Morgan Bouiffle Construction Company of Houston erected it.
Fifty-eight students attended Pearland High School in fall 1937. The first challenge they and their carefully assembled faculty tackled was that of accreditation. This was achieved in the school's first year so that every Pearland graduate would have the option of going on to college.
The school was a focal point for social and recreational activities as well as academics. The Pearland Oilers excelled at several popular sports; THE GUSHER, later called THE PIPELINE, was the school newspaper. The yearbook also was called THE GUSHER. Other groups such as the Boys' Travel Club, the Spanish Club and the Choral Club also were active. The school colors were deep maroon and white.
The structure is a typical early 20th century schoolhouse made of brick veneer, a solid material built to withstand time and weather. It survives with few alterations. Architectural features of interest include the offset central entry bay with shed dormers. A new high school was erected in 1953 and this structure became part of the Pearland elementary schools.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999
Incise: Pearland's first accredited high school, Common School District Number 1, Brazoria County Public Schools, 1937-1938
J. Paul Rogers, Superintendent County Schools
B. B. Ainsworth, Superintendent Pearland Schools
Board of Trustees: George M. Wall, president; Clyde Oblinger, secretary; F. E. Moore, member
Teaching Staff: B. B. Ainsworth, superintendent and teacher; Billy M. Wall, principal and teacher; Lloyd C. Hawkins, coach and teacher; Oleta Campbell (Hawkins), teacher; Fay Brookshire (Hunter), teacher; Hazel Skinner (Muetz), teacher; Virginia Ainsworth, librarian.