Details for Brooks County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5047000523)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5047000523

Data

Marker Number 523
Atlas Number 5047000523
Marker Title Brooks County Courthouse
Index Entry Brooks County Courthouse
Address
City Falfurrias
County Brooks
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 584626
UTM Northing 3011798
Subject Codes buildings; courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1977
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location US 281, Falfurrias
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text Created in 1911, Brooks County was named for State Legislator James A. Brooks (1855-1944), who served as the first county judge. Edward C. Lasater, founder of Falfurrias, deeded this courthouse site to the Commissioners Court. County offices occupied rented quarters before construction of this edifice in 1914. The brick courthouse was designed by San Antonio architect Alfred Giles (1853-1920), who planned numerous public buildings in Texas and Northern Mexico. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977