Details for Adams-Shaw House (Atlas Number 5049000083)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5049000083

Data

Marker Number 83
Atlas Number 5049000083
Marker Title Adams-Shaw House
Index Entry Adams-Shaw House
Address 1600 Shaw Dr.
City Brownwood
County Brown
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 500463
UTM Northing 3506558
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; rangers
Marker Year 1975
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text This house was erected about 1876 for George H. Adams (1842-1920), a rancher and former Texas Ranger, whose cattle brand was carved into the front step. English-born stonemason William Frederick Morton (1851-1926) built it of sandstone quarried in nearby Willis Creek. The structure was purchased in 1908 by Laura (d. 1944) and Colin McKeever Shaw (1850-1944). It was restored and enlarged after 1945 by their son, Neil K. Shaw (1901-1969), and his wife, Maud Dabney Shaw. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975