Details for Brownwood Harvey House (Atlas Number 5049011768)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5049011768

Data

Marker Number 11768
Atlas Number 5049011768
Marker Title Brownwood Harvey House
Index Entry Brownwood Harvey House
Address 600 Washington St.
City Brownwood
County Brown
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 501903
UTM Northing 3508960
Subject Codes buildings; railroads; restaurants; Business topics, general
Marker Year 1999
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location adjacent to the Santa Fe Passenger Depot
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Built in 1914 immediately east of the Brownwood Santa Fe Railroad Depot, this was one of a series of restaurants operated along the Santa Fe line by the Fred Harvey Company, product of railroad agent Fred Harvey's idea to provide superior food and lodging for travelers. The Harvey House was popular from its opening day. The restaurant and hotel closed in 1937, but reopened to serve military personnel when Camp Bowie was established in World War II. It closed permanently in 1945 as passenger railroad travel declined in the era of prosperity following the war. Typical of railroad structures built in the southwest during this period by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, the structure features elements of the Spanish Mission Revival style with its red tile hipped roof and decorative brackets. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999