Details for Brownwood Santa Fe Passenger Depot (Atlas Number 5049012464)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5049012464

Data

Marker Number 12464
Atlas Number 5049012464
Marker Title Brownwood Santa Fe Passenger Depot
Index Entry Brownwood Santa Fe Passenger Depot
Address
City Brownwood
County Brown
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads; Romanesque/Richardsonian Romanesque (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1996
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location on Washington Ave., between E. Depot and E. Adams streets
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Railroad construction began in Brown County in 1884, and the first train arrived in Brownwood in 1885. This depot was designed by Jarvis Hunt of Chicago and built in 1909 by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway Company. It accommodated traffic from a major rail junction between California and Texas and led to increased regional development. Passenger train usage peaked during World War II as 15 trains came through here daily. Architectural features include solid red brick construction with stucco finish, broad round arches, a 7-bay primary facade and a hipped red tile roof. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996