Details for Crownover Chapel (Atlas Number 5053009709)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5053009709

Data

Marker Number 9709
Atlas Number 5053009709
Marker Title Crownover Chapel
Index Entry Crownover Chapel
Address
City Marble Falls
County Burnet
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 568477
UTM Northing 3390103
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1972
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location take US Hwy. 281N approx. 2 mi. to FM 1855; then west on FM 1855 2 miles to Fairland Cemetery (chapel opposite cemetery)
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Backbone Valley's first public building, started 1859 on 7-acre tract donated that year by heirs of settler Jefferson Barton. Finished 1870, chapel was named for the Rev. Arter Crownover (1810-76), whose preaching of Methodist faith opened its use. Building soon also housed a school. The nearby cemetery was in use by 1872. A school room was added but later removed. Chapel now bears original appearance, and is used as church and community center. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972