Details for The Galloway House (Atlas Number 5053009715)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5053009715

Data

Marker Number 9715
Atlas Number 5053009715
Marker Title The Galloway House
Index Entry Galloway House, The
Address 108 E. League
City Burnet
County Burnet
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 572414
UTM Northing 3405118
Subject Codes
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location League and Pierce streets
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The original part of this house was built in 1856. The adobe and rock residence, owned by Maj. Hugh H. Calvert, also served as an inn. Local landowner Enoch Brooks bought the home in 1885 and made major additions to the structure. Significant changes were also made by W. C. Galloway (1856-1936), who became the owner in 1899. A prominent businessman and an organizer of the First State Bank of Burnet, he served as county tax collector and mayor of the city. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981