||George C. and Elizabeth Roper constructed this double-galleried hotel building about 1888. In the growing town of Marble falls, The Roper Hotel became a popular stop for visiting businessmen and dignitaries. It was purchased by W. F. Smith in 1926 and later operated as The Central Hotel and The Francis House. His son R. O. Smith, who became manager in the 1930s, later served as mayor of Marble falls. The hotel remained in the Smith family until 1963.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981