Details for The Russell-McFarland Homestead (Atlas Number 5053009746)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5053009746

Data

Marker Number 9746
Atlas Number 5053009746
Marker Title The Russell-McFarland Homestead
Index Entry Russell-McFarland Homestead
Address 309 N. Boundary St.
City Burnet
County Burnet
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 574169
UTM Northing 3403440
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; pioneers
Marker Year 1978
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 309 N. Boundary St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text William H. and Mary Russell built this Victorian residence in 1883-84. Russell, a veteran of the Civil War (1861-65), headed the Burnet school system about 15 years. Sold in 1895, the house had such tenants as J. W. Edgar, later state commissioner of education, and J. H. Gildart, one of the first Texas game wardens. Since 1922 the property has been owned and preserved by the family of Samuel A. and Pearl (Teagle) McFarland. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978