Details for First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Lockhart (Atlas Number 5055009770)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5055009770

Data

Marker Number 9770
Atlas Number 5055009770
Marker Title First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Lockhart
Index Entry First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Lockhart
Address 202 West San Antonio Street
City Lockhart
County Caldwell
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 628195
UTM Northing 3306721
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Christian (Disciples of Christ) denominations; churches; Gothic Revial (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1985
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner of W. San Antonio and Church St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized in 1852 with seven members, this congregation constructed its first sanctuary in 1858. Located across the street from this site, it soon became too small for the growing membership. In 1898, this Gothic revival building was designed and built by Tom Hodges, who served as the architect on several public buildings in Lockhart. The ornate sanctuary features lancet windows, decorative brickwork, and corner turrets. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985

Images

First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Lockhart (RTHL)
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Lockhart (RTHL)