Details for Grace Episcopal Church (Atlas Number 5057001247)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5057001247

Data

Marker Number 1247
Atlas Number 5057001247
Marker Title Grace Episcopal Church
Index Entry Grace Episcopal Church
Address 213 E. Austin Street
City Port Lavaca
County Calhoun
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 732430
UTM Northing 3167479
Subject Codes Episcopal denomination; churches
Marker Year 1965
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 213 E. Austin Street, Port Lavaca
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Records indicate Episcopal worship services were held in Lavaca prior to the 1850s. By 1852 the Rev. Henry N. Pierce, rector of Christ Church in Matagorda, periodically came to conduct services here. The Rev. C. S. Hedges, with funding made possible by an Ohio benefactor, organized Grace Church in 1853. Deadly yellow fever epidemics in 1853 and 1855 devastated the church and the town. In 1874 the bishop ordered the church building moved to Cuero to serve a larger population. Grace Church survived, however, and a second building was secured in 1887. Destroyed by a hurricane in 1945, it was rebuilt by 1949. Grace Church regained parish status in 1951, and additional facilities were built to meet the church's needs in the following decades. (1998) Incise on back: Erected by Calhoun County Historical Commission; George Fred Rhodes, Chairman