Details for Texas & Pacific Railway Depot (Atlas Number 5059005241)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5059005241

Data

Marker Number 5241
Atlas Number 5059005241
Marker Title Texas & Pacific Railway Depot
Index Entry Texas & Pacific Railway Depot
Address
City Baird
County Callahan
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 462895
UTM Northing 3583853
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads; Spanish Renaissance Revival (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1985
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location South Market Street & First St., Baird
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text The Texas & Pacific Railway arrived here in 1880, platting a town near the work camp of Matthew Baird, surveyor and engineer. In 1881, the T&P built a roundhouse and immigrant house, and moved a depot building to this new railroad division point. The town of Baird prospered and became county seat in 1883. A frame depot built in 1905 converted to storage when replaced by this two-story brick depot in 1911. The Prairie style building features a decorative belt course, overhanging eaves, low-pitched roof and unusual Flemish style parapet. In 1977, the railroad discontinued use of the building, which still recalls the town's importance as a shipping point. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985