Details for Browne-Wagner House (Atlas Number 5061000536)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5061000536

Data

Marker Number 536
Atlas Number 5061000536
Marker Title Browne-Wagner House
Index Entry Browne-Wagner House
Address 245 E. St. Charles St.
City Brownsville
County Cameron
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 649616
UTM Northing 2866123
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; design and construction
Marker Year 1978
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 245 E. St. Charles Street, Brownsville.
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text This structure, with its molded cornice, is a good example of the large brick residences erected in Brownsville in the late 19th Century. It was built in 1894 for Mary Josephine Glaevecke Browne, widow of Cameron County Sheriff Matthew L. ("Theo") Browne. The architect was Samuel W. Brooks (1829-1903), who designed many public and private buildings in this area. Martha Landrum (Mrs. Robert E.) Wagner, descendant of two pioneer families, bought the house in 1920.