Details for Church of the Advent (Atlas Number 5061000856)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5061000856

Data

Marker Number 856
Atlas Number 5061000856
Marker Title Church of the Advent
Index Entry Church of the Advent
Address 104 W. Elizabeth
City Brownsville
County Cameron
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 649469
UTM Northing 2866616
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Mission (Architectural style); design and construction; Episcopal denomination; churches
Marker Year 1988
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 104 W. Elizabeth Street, Brownsville.
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text One of the earliest Episcopal churches organized in Texas, this congregation was founded in 1851. The Rev. William Passmore served as first Rector, and by 1854 a church building was completed in the downtown area. Destroyed by a hurricane in 1867, it was rebuilt by 1877. The current building was designed by Scottish architect Thomas McLaren and built in 1926-1927. The Mission style structure features a domed tower, barrel tile roof, and curvilinear parapet.