Details for First Presbyterian Church of Brownsville (Atlas Number 5061001830)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5061001830

Data

Marker Number 1830
Atlas Number 5061001830
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church of Brownsville
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of Brownsville
Address 435 Palm Blvd.
City Brownsville
County Cameron
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 649499
UTM Northing 2866371
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Presbyterian denomination; Gothic Revial (Architectural style); churches
Marker Year 1993
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 435 Palm Boulevard, Brownsville.
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text This church, organized by The Rev. Hiram Chamberlain and 19 charter members in 1850, is Brownsville's oldest Presbyterian congregation. Services were held on a river boat and in several sanctuaries before this structure was built by the San Antonio construction company in 1927. A well-preserved example of a 20th Century Gothic Revival sanctuary, it features cast stone detailing, Gothic arches and windows, and irregularly arranged tower and bays. The congregation continues to serve the area.