Details for First Presbyterian Church of San Benito (Atlas Number 5061001847)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5061001847

Data

Marker Number 1847
Atlas Number 5061001847
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church of San Benito
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of San Benito
Address 566 N. Reagan
City San Benito
County Cameron
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 637197
UTM Northing 2891405
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Federal programs; Mission (Architectural style); Presbyterian denomination; churches
Marker Year 1986
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 566 N. Reagan, San Benito.
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text This church was organized in 1910, three years after the founding of San Benito. The first building, a frame structure completed in 1911, served the congregation until a hurricane destroyed it in 1933. The following year, this building ws constructed. Funded in part by a Federal Government loan, it was known as America's first Public Works Administration church. The structure's Mission Revival style features arched gable parapets.