Details for Post Hospital Annex (Atlas Number 5061004087)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5061004087

Data

Marker Number 4087
Atlas Number 5061004087
Marker Title Post Hospital Annex
Index Entry Post Hospital Annex
Address
City Brownsville
County Cameron
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 651035
UTM Northing 2865186
Subject Codes BG; forts; HO; RV
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Admin. Bldg., Campos of Texas, Southmost College, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville.
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text Completed in 1869 during the rebuilding of Fort Brown by Captain William Alonzo Wainwright, the Post Hospital Annex (also known as the Medical Laboratory), was constructed to house personnel assigned to work in the nearby Post Hospital. A finely crafted, classically influenced building, it subsequently was used as a medical laboratory, for storage purposes, and as a dispensary.