Details for Russell-Cocke House (Atlas Number 5061012386)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5061012386

Data

Marker Number 12386
Atlas Number 5061012386
Marker Title Russell-Cocke House
Index Entry Russell-Cocke House
Address 602 E. St. Charles St.
City Brownsville
County Cameron
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 649864
UTM Northing 2865880
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 2000
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion and plate
Marker Text Built in 1877 for Judge William H. Russell (1838-1882), this house was purchased by Virginian and Confederate veteran Joseph James Cocke (1841-1926) in 1885. The Cocke family continued to live in the home until the late 1940s. The eclectic Victorian house displays Italianate and Greek Revival influences in such features as its Classical proportion and massing and its bracketed porch supports. Its most distinguishing feature is a distinctive large pedimented dormer and door with transom. The 1975 restoration of this house spurred preservation efforts in the neighborhood. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-2000