Details for Cotton Belt Depot (Atlas Number 5063009793)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5063009793

Data

Marker Number 9793
Atlas Number 5063009793
Marker Title Cotton Belt Depot
Index Entry Cotton Belt Depot
Address 170 Marshall St.
City Pittsburg
County Camp
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 316042
UTM Northing 3652465
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads; Queen Anne (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1991
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The narrow gauge Texas & St. Louis (Cotton Belt) Railroad arrived in Pittsburg in 1880. William Harrison Pitts, founder of Pittsburg, had donated land for a railroad depot in 1875. This depot, the second built on this site, was completed in 1901 and served the railroad until 1968, although passenger service ended in 1946. The depot is a good local example of Victorian-era design with influences of the Queen Anne style. Features include dormers on the side facades, two internal end chimneys rising from the gable roof, and an attached frame freight depot. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991