Details for First Methodist Church of Pittsburg (Atlas Number 5063009796)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5063009796

Data

Marker Number 9796
Atlas Number 5063009796
Marker Title First Methodist Church of Pittsburg
Index Entry First Methodist Church of Pittsburg
Address 200 Mt. Pleasant St.
City Pittsburg
County Camp
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 316299
UTM Northing 3652594
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; Presbyterian denomination; churches
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The charter members of this church, organized in 1857 by the Rev. J. W. Harvey Hamill, included Major and Mrs. w. H. Pitts and others in the Pitts family, for whom this town was named. The congregation worshipped first in a log structure, then shared a 2-story frame building with the Masonic Lodge. A larger frame sanctuary was erected in 1888-89. It was replaced by this brick prairie style church, constructed (1904-05) during the pastorate of the Rev. E. L. Shettles. In 1953 the educational wing was added. In 1957, the fellowship's centennial year, membership was 546. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976