Details for Camp County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5063013073)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5063013073

Data

Marker Number 13073
Atlas Number 5063013073
Marker Title Camp County Courthouse
Index Entry Camp County Courthouse
Address 126 Church St
City Pittsburg
County Camp
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 316326
UTM Northing 3652534
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 2004
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 126 Church Street
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The Texas Legislature created Camp County from the northern part of Upshur County in 1874, and voters chose Pittsburg as their county seat. The county built its first courthouse in 1881. As Pittsburg grew, the two-story brick edifice became too small for the county's needs, and in 1928 commissioners hired the Paris, Texas architectural firm of Smith and Praeger to design a new house of justice. Contractors Wentzel and Wood received the contract for the construction, which was completed in December 1928. The Classical Revival courts building features a stepped parapet, flat arched windows and Corinthian columns. Today, the courthouse remains a central part of life in Camp County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004