Details for Old Bonner Bank Building (Atlas Number 5073006614)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5073006614

Data

Marker Number 6614
Atlas Number 5073006614
Marker Title Old Bonner Bank Building
Index Entry Bonner Bank Building, Old
Address 208 Henderson St
City Rusk
County Cherokee
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 296487
UTM Northing 3519641
Subject Codes banks, bankers, banking topics; commercial buildings
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location moved to 208 Henderson St in 2009
Marker Size RTHL medallion and plate
Marker Text Built 1865 by C.Chaffee, a New Orleans promoter-cotton buyer. Served 1868-1883 as law office of S.A Wilson, member of 5-man commission to codify Texas law under Constitution of 1876; Later judge in State Court of Appeals. In this building, 1884-1892, leading East Texas attorney and Tyler banker F.W. Bonner had the first bank in Cherokee county, serving New Birmingham. Retained Bonner Building name through school and other occupancies. RTHL 1968