Details for Slaughter Ranch Headquarters (Atlas Number 5079004948)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5079004948

Data

Marker Number 4948
Atlas Number 5079004948
Marker Title Slaughter Ranch Headquarters
Index Entry Slaughter Ranch Headquarters
Address
City Morton
County Cochran
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 706636
UTM Northing 3729729
Subject Codes ranches/ranching
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Morton take Highway 214 south about 2 miles; turn west onto Highway 1169 about .5 miles to driveway-drive south to site
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Made up of 246,669 acres of Cochran and Hockley county lands. Col. C. C. Slaughter -- a leader in banking, ranching and religious life in Texas -- purchased land 1898-1901. First headquarters was a half-dugout. In 1915, C. C. Slaughter Cattle Company, Inc., brought men from Mexico to build this adobe and concrete quadrangle, on order of a Spanish hacienda. This was one of finest Texas ranch buildings of its era. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962