Details for Bronte Depot (Atlas Number 5081000518)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5081000518

Data

Marker Number 518
Atlas Number 5081000518
Marker Title Bronte Depot
Index Entry Bronte Depot
Address
City Bronte
County Coke
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 377400
UTM Northing 3528511
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads
Marker Year 1989
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location SH 158 West (Main Street), Bronte
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Built by local stonemason James C. Lammers (1874-1942), this depot was completed in 1911, two years after the first train arrived in Bronte. Built of locally quarried materials, the depot features stone lintels and window sills and a red tile roof. Originally owned by the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railway, the Bronte depot was sold in 1928 to the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company, which discontinued operations here in 1967. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989