Details for Sanco (Atlas Number 5081004558)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5081004558

Data

Marker Number 4558
Atlas Number 5081004558
Marker Title Sanco
Index Entry Sanco
Address
City Robert Lee vicinity
County Coke
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 356348
UTM Northing 3542152
Subject Codes cities and towns; Native Americans
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Robert Lee, take SH 208 northwest about 6 miles, then go north on Sanco Loop about 3 miles
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Sanco (originally located 1 mile east) On site of prehistoric Indian camps; in area where in 1850's Fort Chadbourne soldiers often skirmished with Indians. One of the first settlements and second pioneer post office (established 1888) in county. Named for the Comanche Chief Sanaco, who with Chief Yellow Wolf had regularly camped here. Yellow Wolf, killed in a fight with Lipans, is buried nearby. In 1907, new site was surveyed; town relocated here on Yellow Wolf Creek. School, post office, store, blacksmith shop moved to this new site, where Methodist church was already located. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.