Details for First Baptist Church of Farmersville (Atlas Number 5085006133)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5085006133

Data

Marker Number 6133
Atlas Number 5085006133
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Farmersville
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Farmersville
Address 104 S. Washington St.
City Farmersville
County Collin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 746249
UTM Northing 3672433
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1977
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 104 S. Washington St., Farmersville
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Fifteen charter members, meeting under a brush arbor at this site on May 14, 1865, organized the First Baptist Church and chose the Rev. John C. Averitt (1818-1895) as the first pastor. Worship services were held in private homes and later in the Masonic Hall on the east side of the town square. After a successful interdenominational revival, the Baptists decided to erect a permanent church building. The congregation bought the site of the old brush arbor and in 1877 built a simple frame church. A bell installed in the steeple heralded special events to the community. Another successful revival in 1898 emphasized the need for a larger structure. More land was acquired and the present church building constructed in 1900. A combination of several architectural styles, the brick edifice is topped by a roof of pressed metal. The exterior walls of the sanctuary form a multisided projection flanked by matching towers with steeply pitched roofs. The bell from the 1877 church was transferred to the north belfry. Educational buildings were added in 1938 and 1955-56. This congregation provides many community-oriented services, including a church-sponsored library. Several well-known Baptist leaders served as pastor here.**Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977***