Details for John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (Atlas Number 5085006164)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5085006164

Data

Marker Number 6164
Atlas Number 5085006164
Marker Title John S. and Rachel W. Heard House
Index Entry Heard, John S. and Rachel W., House
Address 315 N. College St.
City McKinney
County Collin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 721804
UTM Northing 3675599
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Classical Revival (architectural style); design and construction; women
Marker Year 1993
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 315 North College Street McKinney
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Arkansas native and Confederate soldier John Spenser Heard (1841-1933) joined his family here in McKinney about 1865. He married Rachel Wilson in 1884. Business success allowed the Heards to benefit numerous local causes and to build this home in 1921. Designed by the Dallas firm Ye Planery in the classical revival style, the house features colossal corinthian columns, giant entablature and a dentiled pediment. It remained in the Heard family until 1987. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993