Details for Texas Electric Railway Station (Atlas Number 5085006210)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5085006210

Data

Marker Number 6210
Atlas Number 5085006210
Marker Title Texas Electric Railway Station
Index Entry Texas Electric Railway Station
Address 901 E. 15th St.
City Plano
County Collin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 714662
UTM Northing 3655827
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads
Marker Year 1990
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Interurban Railway Museum
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Built in 1908 by the Texas Traction Company (Texas Electric Railway after a merger in 1917), this station served passengers and freight customers of the company's North Texas routes. The wood frame passenger depot and the attached brick freight/electric transformer section remained in use until 1948, when the rail system declined in favor of automobile travel. It is one of the few reminders of Plano's early 20th-century transportation history. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990