Details for 1927 Collin County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5085011816)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5085011816

Data

Marker Number 11816
Atlas Number 5085011816
Marker Title 1927 Collin County Courthouse
Index Entry Collin County Courthouse, 1927
Address 111 N. Tennessee
City McKinney
County Collin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 722255
UTM Northing 3675711
Subject Codes courthouses; Classical Revival (architectural style)
Marker Year 1998
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location City Square
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Collin County was formed in 1846 and its only town, Buckner, was automatically selected as the county seat. To comply with state law, an election was held to relocate the county seat to the center of the county. Only eleven people participated due to inclement weather, and when the vote was tallied McKinney was established as the county seat in 1848. The first courthouses in McKinney were modest wooden structures. A third courthouse was erected on this site during 1874-1875, and was opened for use in 1876. The 2-story Victorian structure was made of native limestone blocks with a steep mansard roof and a main entrance that faced east. The building's architect, often mistakenly identified as Charles Wheeler, was Charles Wheelock of Sherman. The much-celebrated courthouse on the square became a backdrop for parades and other events. The structure was overcrowded and in poor condition by the mid-1920s. Extensive exterior and interior renovations included the removal of the mansard roof and tower caps, as well as the addition of a third story and basement. Overseen by W. A. Peters of the Paris, Texas, architectural firm of Sparger and Peters, the work resulted in a classical revival edifice completed in 1927. Original features included tripartite windows with flanking double classical columns on the north and south facades. The new structure was commonly known as the "Temple of Justice," and continued to be the center of activity for city and county functions. It remained in service as a courthouse until 1979. The structure remains a fine example of 20th century classical revival design and a monument to Collin County history. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998