Details for Comal County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5091000987)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5091000987

Data

Marker Number 987
Atlas Number 5091000987
Marker Title Comal County Courthouse
Index Entry Comal County Courthouse
Address 150 N. Seguin
City New Braunfels
County Comal
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 584696
UTM Northing 3286237
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 1993
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 150 N Seguin, New Braunfels
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In 1846 Comal County held its first court session in the home of its county clerk, Conrad Seabaugh. Courthouse facilities acquired in 1849 proved inadequate and were replaced with a 2-story building at the southeast corner of the city plaza in 1860. The building fell into disrepair and in 1898 the county chose famous Texas courthouse architect J. Riley Gordon to design a new courthouse. Gordon's original design, incorporating four entrances compatible with the building's proposed location at the center of the plaza, was nevertheless retained when this corner lot site was chosen instead . Austin contractors Fischer and Lamie used stone quarried 10 miles north of New Braunfels on land owned by Texas/U.S.statesman Edward Mandell House to build this courthouse in 1898. The 3 1/2 story Romanesque-style structure features rounded pavilion entrances often employed by Gordon and includes dramatic massing and superb detail in its stone work. A 1929-31 large stone jail addition was designed by Jeremiah Schmidt of New Braunfels. The courthouse underwent considerable interior and minor exterior renovations in 1966-67 and 1987. The courthouse reflects New Braunfel's German heritage and the spirit of Comal County at the turn of the twentieth century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993

Images