Details for Main Plaza Bandstand (Atlas Number 5091013018)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5091013018

Data

Marker Number 13018
Atlas Number 5091013018
Marker Title Main Plaza Bandstand
Index Entry Main Plaza Bandstand
Address
City New Braunfels
County Comal
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 584666
UTM Northing 3286207
Subject Codes bandstands, public-speaking kiosks or stands
Marker Year 2003
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Seguin and San Antonio streets
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Following a petition by local residents, the City of New Braunfels built its Main Plaza Bandstand in 1905. Neo-classical in design, it originally served as a stage for summer evening concerts by the Waldschmidt Fire Department Band. In 1926, with funding provided by the Women's Civic Improvement Club, workers raised the pavilion on a limestone base so a ladies restroom could be constructed with windows for light and ventilation. Today, the bandstand is a focal point in the city's landscape, symbolizing the central role music and community events played in the history of New Braunfels. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003

Images